The Family Reimbursement Program 

Many of our dancers are eligible to receive service coordination through a social service agency such a People Inc., Aspire etc.  One of the benefits of having a Service Coordinator for your dancer is that this person is tasked with helping your family navigate the sometimes confusing road to various government and social service agencies that you may be need.

A Service Coordinator makes it easier for you to take advantage of all the financial, recreational, and respite benefits your child is entitled to receive.  One such benefit you may be eligible for is funded through The Family Reimbursement Program Western New York Region (Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, Allegany, Chautauqua and Cattaraugus Counties). This Family Support Service program is funded through the New York State Office of People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD).  The program assists families financially who are caring for a family member who has a developmental disability and lives at home.  (Acceptable documentation to verify that eligibility has been determined with OPWDD is required and must be submitted with the application.)

One of the services that may be qualified for reimbursement through this program is dance tuition.  Many local agencies (such as Aspire, Cantalician Center, WNY independent Living Center and many others) have these funds available each year.  You don’t have to have your service coordination through them to request reimbursement. They receive the funds in January and they are distributed on a first come first serve basis, with most having their funds depleted totally by late summer to early fall.  If you are able to pay your dance tuition balance in January for January-May, or better yet, for all of 2018, and submit it in early 2018, your likelihood of having more of the total amount of tuition reimbursed is better.  This of course is if you haven’t asked for reimbursement for other similar programs/funding.  Some smaller or more rural agencies may still have funds for 2017, but hurry!

For an application and more information please check with your Service Coordinator as every case is different. Reimbursement must be for current year fees incurred.   If you need an invoice on letterhead showing what you have already paid,  call the danceability office and they can provide one.

Good Luck!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: